It’s almost that time where friends gather and barrackers flock to bars to scream and shout for their favorite Australian Football League or National Rugby League team in the Grand Final. This year in AFL, the Hawthorn Hawks take on the Sydney Swans on Saturday, September 29 (Aussie time) at the Melbourne Cricket Ground and in the NRL, the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs face the Melbourne Storm at ANZ Stadium on Sunday, September 30. We know that it’s an event full of fun and nostalgia, so or those of you in the United States wanting to watch, here is the Ustralian guide of where to do so across the country.
Earlier in the year, we shared some details on how to watch AFL and NRL games online, but here’s a little refresher. If you’re watching from home, you’re going to want to get a subscription to Fox Soccer Plus. The League announced this partnership back in March and the agreement runs through 2014 and includes the Grand Final. You can also check out this link for up to date information. For a cheaper option or the AFL finals only, AFL’s Livesport.TV is offering an internet subscription for USD $9.99. You can sign up here.
And then, of course, there are numerous parties happening at restaurants and bars from coast to coast.
In the USA, the AFL match starts around 11pm Eastern/8pm Pacific Friday night, and the NRL match begins at around 2:30am Eastern/11:30pm Pacific on Saturday night. So go on and cheer on the Hawks, the Swans, the Bulldogs or the Storm and have fun!
New York City
- The Moo Life Group in New York City is throwing parties at two of their bars, the Sunburnt Cow on the Lower East Side and the Sunburnt Calf on the Upper West Side.
- The New York Magpies have their own event at the Galway Hooker in Midtown Manhattan.
- The Australian Pub is a crowd favourite for Aussie events, and this one is no different. They will be showing the AFL Grand Final tonight LIVE at midnight, and replaying the game at 1pm on Saturday. They will also show the NRL Grand Final at 2:30am Saturday night/Sunday morning.
- The Australians in Washington Association in conjunction with the Australian Embassy and the Baltimore-Washington Eagles FC will be hosting a Grand Final party at The Embassy for those who have pre-purchased tickets.
- The Chicago Swans will be hosting a Grand Final party with two Qantas tickets to Australia to be won.
- SF Aussies celebrate in San Francisco at the 5th St. Bar and Grill.
- The Orange County bombers will be hosting a gathering at The Auld Dubliner
- The American Australian Association and AILA are hosting a joint party in Hollywood
- In Santa Monica, there will be a party at South with the LA Dragons
- For those who want to watch the NRL Grand Finals on Saturday night, another party will also be held in Santa Monica at Ye Olde Kings Head.
- The Houston Lonestars host the Final in Houston.
- Our favourite Aussie bar in Boston, KO Pies at the Shipyard, is our favourite go-to for events of any Aussie flavour. It doesn’t hurt that their pies are delicious, as well.
Whether you’re heading to one of these events or watching from home, here’s hoping for plenty of cheer and beer!